Translate

Tuesday, April 28, 2015

Friends of the Family


I resent typing this because I don't know if this is someone else's problem or mine.  But seeing as this has been on my mind, might as well tell you.

Where do I begin?  The pain was just horrible growing up, but to me it just seemed so normal.  I remember coming home to spotless floors, and homemade bread.  Winters were so cold back then but we got to sit on the couch all warm and cozy with slices of homemade bread after school.  I would even watch mother start cooking pork chops in the electric frying pan.  I don't like an electric frying pan and don't have one, the things conjure up bad memories for me, that I don't even remember.  Just looking at one makes me want to puke.  But I loved watching her cook in it.

There was lots of happy times, from what I can remember.  I was physically active but I had to stay close to mother at all times.  I would come up with games to play outside on my own, I guess that was ok.  The law of attachment varies.

After dinner I would go outside to play.  There were things we played at school recess that I engineered to play alone.

We were indeed a weird family when we grew up.  Ok, not a lot of people wanted to be around us, it seems like there were at times different people, but I knew a family that we were a lot around.  They were nice people.  It was fun to go there, as there house was always a mess and no need to worry at all.  They were just so laid back.  The mother was smart and educated and clearly this was amazing for me.  There was something like eight kids, but a few were grown up and on their own.

They owned a farm.  The farm was unkempt.  There were a few cows, and chickens, but it wasn't functioning.  From what I understand, farms have to make some money to pay the taxes that are much higher than living in town.  They eventually lost their farm and moved to the city, but that's for later.  For now, they had the farm and it was fun to go there.  They were much more laid back, and their food was plentiful, which they would share all around.  But they were dirty, and had bedbugs, and, well, they just lived with the bedbugs.  I don't know how mother kept the bedbugs out of our house, if we did get bedbugs, I'm sure she would have been horrified.  We were always back and forth at eachother's homes.

But it was fun.  We would all go camping together, and the youngest daughter was my close friend.  I still remember, and I'm sure she does too, that one time we were on top of a horse and then the horse took right off, knocking us off, we both laughed.  The memories were so good.



The mother of that family was the woman who got me to the hospital the day I cut my foot with the axe, and thank God she was there I'm telling you.  Mother turned to her emotional 3 year old, the mask was off.  She didn't want to handle this, it was clear.  But the other mom was there and even held my hand while my foot was being stitched up at the hospital.

We would go swimming, ride horses, go camping.  The girl I was friends with didn't go to the same grade school as me.  I was in Catholic, she was in Public, but we were from a small town and the gossip from the other kids came to me.  That she was dirty, and her pants would come down to show her butt crack.  But who cares right?  I enjoyed this time and this family, in a way, was what saved me from a horrific childhood.  When they came for a visit, I never wanted them to leave, I felt so safe with them around.  Except for the father, but I'll get to that.

But, it was hard to maintain this girl's friendship.  She lied all the time, there was no truth in her.  It was more of a lie just to talk, she wasn't hurting anyone, just a huge liar.  It was ok, but who could be friends with her?  I was always annoyed by her lies, but somehow I don't think I was gaslighted, I knew she was lying.

After she grew up she had a disabled son, and a lot of her seemed to grow up from the lies, I suppose it did.  We would talk all the time on the phone as truth seemed to have stabilized.  So I started to trust her.

About 10 years ago she called me and told me that 3 of her brothers were having sex with her from the time she was two, till she was old enough to leave the house.  She told me that her mother was having sex with all the brothers.  She even told me that she was forced to have sex with her brother when she was sleeping right next to me on the bed, during a sleepover.

I don't know what happened after that.  My marriage split up, I was on the run again, so we lost contact.  But I never forgot what she told me.

Its weird because as I was thinking about her for a few days, she called me yesterday.  We had a long talk, and it was apparent she obtained a level of healing, although she told me she was totally healed. She spent years seeking out counselling and found the answers through many sources.  She said she went to counselling, some religious stuff, some native shaman stuff, some secret of the universe stuff. She overwhelmed me with so much stuff that I had to tell her so.  I told her please I can only take this one step at a time.

She informed me of me getting drunk a few times when I was a child.  I remember getting drunk when I was three, she remembered me getting drunk when I was seven.  She said my whole family was alcoholics and drank beer like water.  Oh, it was a lovely talk, some memories were actually quite pleasant.

Some were bad.  When she was little her mother threw out her medicine bottles when she got sick. She said that her mother was the only one allowed to be sick in the house.  That my mother actually gave her mother shit for doing that.  As her mother gave my mother shit for other things.  They were the family that got me to the hospital when I cut my foot with the axe.  Now ain't that screwy?

But she felt my family was quite normal and was shocked by what I had to say.  I do believe the stuff she talked about in her childhood.  After she mentioned them, I can actually "see" it now.

She told me that her mother didn't treat her like she did the brothers.  That she was watched more carefully because girls can get pregnant and boys can't.  I had to laugh at this, but I don't think its bad for families to watch more carefully and protect the daughters.  I don't want to get into another anti-feminist rant over this, so I won't.

She said things were horrible when she was growing up.  Except when we were around or when her father was home from work.  She said her father was the best and her mother treated her father horribly, and he tried to straighten out the family.

I didn't tell her that her father used to try to grab my butt, I spent my childhood running from his grasping.  And one time when I was twelve and we were out camping together, her father came behind me and bumped me with his midsection.  Now I know thinking back he had an erection.  A very big one in fact.  I felt it, ugh. I was setting the table and he was behind me for a long time, growing this thing and then he humped me.  I can't tell her that.

I felt I had to warn her of the memories and thinking they are good memories.  I know, we all want our good memories but if you have been raised in a sociopathic household, how much of it can be true?  We lived in a world of gaslighting, so maybe most of it was just that.  Or perhaps, our child minds were blackmailed into being happy, when we weren't.  Oh my, I'm afraid this is too deep, even for me.

She said some memories were real and we were happy.  Maybe.  But what memories are we to trust and believe.  I wanted her to understand that maybe some fear, obligation and guilt could play a role in us wanting to believe some good memories.  Do you trust your memories to be true?  And if they are not true, maybe they aren't safe to trust them.  And since no family is perfect can anyone actually believe and trust their memories?

When I was in my last marriage, he was the all around "good guy" and I remember some good times with him.  And sometimes I believe he is more "pleasant" to be around the husband I have now. I can talk to him, and he listens, but the participation is minimal.  At least, I think so.  Really so different from my last husband was a conversationalist. And very interesting.  But I was always being interrupted and he was the only one who had anything worthwhile to say.  But it was ok though, he was interesting and so much fun.

If I was to look at it, it would probably look like the last husband was better.  But my gosh, he was a complete sociopath.  And the child mind does that, it needs to protect itself.  The happy guy was just a ruse for what evil lay underneath.  I've seen the mask come off sometimes, and what happened was outside normal humanity.



As I longed for the truth I asked her how did she get my phone number and to that she would not answer me.  There it is.  That tiny bit of danger.  It is rational, I think, to tell someone how you got their phone number.  It was years since we have spoken and I ran here and the phone number is not listed in my name.

She could have gotten it from my sister.  And sister is in contact with mother.  This old friend might still be in contact with my sister.  Absolute no contact for me means exactly that.

She didn't go to her mother's funeral and she says she has been out of contact with her family for 28 years. Unfortunately, the last time we talked she was still camping out with her family 10 years ago. I'm afraid I smell a rat.







21 comments:

  1. If you are an ACON it is best to shake the idea of having friends out of your head. I will be 57 this summer and I have no friends. Just people my mother got to and turned against me. .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry you have no friends Q, you have me as a friend even if I'm just someone online. I know if my mother knew someone, they automatically hated me. Friends are hard for me to come by. Most of my friends are Aspies and a few good hearted Christians. I have some but had the years without any when younger.

      Delete
  2. I guess I sound cynical but I really don't know who to trust anymore. I trust the people on-line more than anyone in real life. I mean I won't be sending any checks to Nigerian royalty but I been burned by almost all of my old "friends"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't trust her either. She is a pathological liar, I have known her to be that all of her life. This behaviour, I don't think ever goes away, it's like part of the searing of the soul. I have been burned by friends too. A lot have hurt me. I had this MN friend for 20 years who tossed me aside. We have no friends out here. I'm sorry everyone believed your mother and not you. Narcs have this way of winning people over.

      Delete
    2. Sorry your friend is lying to you. I bet some abuses happened but it is hard to fathom what is a truth and a lie. I lost a MN friend from college-I walked because I realized she treated me just like my sister and mother. I had known her since 1987 and ended the friendship in 2013. She tossed me aside too.

      Delete
  3. When I saw the comment I was afraid to read it. I wonder if they are all on to me. Thanks Q. I don't think I can be friends with her and talk about this stuff like it was good. That would be like going backwards. Its funny, I do have one friend, and its difficult because everyone is so different from me.

    I would like for someone to understand this but this old friend visits her brother, the one who molested her. I forgot to add that. Yes, he molested her, but they have mended their ways. I don't see how her brother can even be normal, she was tossed around like a screw that everyone got to use in the family. I don't see how she can think that it would ever be mended, even if the brothers were taught to be like that. We all get to make the choice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That creeps me out that she visits him. :( Stockholmn Syndrome.

      I have to admit, I have met abused people who praise and abuse their families. I can't stand it. I met a woman like this in my old town. I got bad vibes off her. I thought there was sex abuse even in that picture. She lived at home and was totally controlled. I had to flee. Her mother was going to keep her away from me anyhow. I was around 36 years old and married,
      her around 34 at the time.

      Delete
    2. sorry correction, praise their abusive families. Can't bear it.

      Delete
  4. Yeah that's........ I hate to use the word gift........I'll call it mindset. When someone abuses someone else and they blame it on being treated the same way as a child They get zero forgiveness from me. The people who got abuse growing up should know more just how wrong it is. Abraham Lincoln said it's like a guy murdering his parents and throwing himself on the mercy of the court because he is an orphan. Not exactly but kind of sort of. Someone who sexually abuses their children because they were abused needs to tell their story walking you of all people know just how wrong it is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's disgusting. When people become their abusers, they have shut down their consciences, they have let evil win. It is a step even above the Stockholmed like my Aunt Scapegoat who worships her abusers and considers herself a "lesser" for life. My abusers surely must realize by now I know I am better then them because I have a soul.

      Delete
  5. We all get to make the choice and that's it. We can be narcs, we can have souls too take your pick. Her brother used to pick on me too, calling me a zit faced ugly girl. If I would have known what he was doing I would have called him a freak, because that is what he was/is. I honestly would like to tell the freak off right now as a grown up, I really would, but seeing as they are dangerous it is better to leave it alone and just vent here.

    No, it is important to understand that not all abused children do the same to their own children, I saw that on a show once. To me, it seems it should be repulsive to want to do to your own what happened to you.

    I like that Abraham Lincoln saying, no wonder he is so famous. So if she wants to "forgive" her brother that is her choice too I guess, but I call bullshit. Anyone who can forgive such heinous abuse is lying in my most honest opinion. She can lie and gaslight her own self, not me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Evil can exist with the Stockholmed. I see this girl as in my Aunt Scapegoat boat. They betray the people who are reaching for the light as they praise those in the darkness and never hold them accountable.

      Delete
  6. Yk, sometimes we just grow in different directions from childhood friends. It just happens and it's not anyone's "fault" so much as aside from some shared childhood memories, we don't have much in common anymore.
    Her refusal to tell you how she got your number-a really innocuous question-would send me into lock-down immediately. I have a 0 tolerance policy for BS; a whiff of disingenuousness or questionable behavior/response to my internal "Why NOW?" thought and that"s enough for me.
    Trust your gut on this one.
    TW

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks TW. That fact that she wouldn't tell me who gave her my phone number is indeed a dangerous thing. She doesn't know who my children are, I don't know many people, no one but my sister could have given her the number. And I remember that we don't have families. I am not obligated to forgive my family just for the sake of blood. And if she is talking to my sister, then I know I have to be careful. They are blasphemous, and can start a rumour, that can tumble down my whole world. They can do anything, they have showed me they are capable of it. Families are those who could never do that.

    Sure, I might have some sweet memories. But those aren't trustworthy to be sweet. But they are all I have. And that is the scary part. If I come to the conclusion those are gone, I'm scared to feel empty, and dead inside. All will be lost and I will have nothing left. I still feel very low value in this world. I probably always will. Oh, so much to deal with. I have a new memory of mother gaslighting me, and I guess that is why I'm yacking so much. lol

    All of this is fear related and I hate fear so damn much.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yeah most of us grow in different directions and some people called my mother every time they had a juicy piece of gossip to tell her about. My ex didn't get the family farm because we grew apart. My ex got the farm because she used my mothers favorite tactic of seeing a crack in a relationship and driving a bulldozer through it. I just didn't realize they were so close until it was too late.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, and this is the Parasitic behavior in action that confirms their Predatory/Parasitic character. As if your CB ex gave a crap about stomping on your and sis's proverbial bodies as she demonstrated her unbridled greed and entitlement.
      I was so shocked when I learned Psychobitch parasitically attached herself to her SIL and her adult kids in Psychob's last years. She talked smack about these people for DECADES, but when left with no one after blowing up her family of procreation, she predated on them-much to their everlasting dismay. If natural consequences are the only hope to effect any possible moderation in their behavior, in theory it sounds plausible.
      In reality, I haven't seen that happen. Why? Most fundamentally because they (CBs) lead and play the Pity Card, the Cult of Professional Victimhood. And people who are good hearted, well meaning and caring fall for it every.last.time. They appear so pitiful-and they come bearing financial "incentives" which they dangle stratigically-so if the others/targets can not be manipulated by their decency and humanity, there's always Greed.
      And your ex was always available to the highest bidder. She's scarily similar to The B.
      TW

      Delete
  9. She fed her supply and that was it. A narc knows what a narc needs, and she got the family farm that way. So many frustrating things have happened and I'm prepared for anything. It won't surprise me if my mother left me everything in her will just to piss off my sister. You see, my sister has been caring for mother all these years, and it would be a gas to let her know she left me everything. I wouldn't put it past her.

    They have no loyalty and that is the thing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. No loyalty and no humanity. The occasional outbreak of decent treatment results in conditions that are classic for Trauma Bonding to occur, as you mentioned in your Post about the bread etc. If they were consistently nasty we would have picked up on their character long before we did. A cessation of hostilities, an occasional morsel of mercy does not a decent person make; it is the decades of underhanded nastiness and horrific sabotage that reveals their true character.
    Please forgive me and just ignore this if it's too personal, but it sounds as if you view your sister as a very powerful entity, prepared to bring down lightening bolts, having the ability to destroy your life. Why are you giving her so much power? She may well be a slimy malicious bitch, but remember, what they don't know they'll just make up, meaning lie. If the people around you are gonna believe a rumor or not check it out with you or above all, use their own damn judgement, are these the kind of people you really want in your life? Is their opinion really of value to you? Reality isn't some kind of competition for "Ms./Mr. Congeniality" so there are people who are gonna like you and those who won't and the SAME FOR YOU: remember, you get to choose too!
    I have made absolutely every screw up imaginable and most more than once. I found living honestly leaves nothing for gossip except BS. That doesn't mean I put all my stuff out there willy-nilly because some stuff is personal and NOT for public consumption-boundaries in action. The people who are closest to me have been around for years and of course know me very well as they should. Those who are just acquaintances, casual, "hey, how are Ya?" when I see them occasionally aren't privey to my most private thoughts/experiences. I've got a bunch of polite responses to use if someone starts pushing for more private information and they work fine for the most part.
    If they don't, I'll just walk way: Message received ;)
    I'm just gonna add that growing up with CB parent(s) who reify Appearances above all else IMO sensitizes us to believe the whole world is watching and/or gives a crap. The reality is, no they aren't and no, they don't. It's reassuring to know we're just not that important ;) Just because they (the CBs) desperately want to APPEAR "good" as a cover for ther rot doesn't make their paranoia a factual reality. They are not the center of the universe and neither are we. I'm not saying we have no value (as they would unless we made them look good) but I am saying this is such a common flea because we were so assiduously trained to be extremely hyper self-conscious. And of course, the more self-conscious we are, the more more fearful we are of APPEARING less than etc. and then that fear gets leveraged to keep us in terror of what they're gonna say/do next to make us appear incompetent, stupid, unworthy and so forth.
    I hope this makes some sense? What do you all think?
    TW

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know I shouldn't give rats patoot what anyone thinks about me and really I don't it's just at the same time I do. I was watching a special on Lance Armstrong ruining old friends careers proactively because he knew they knew he was full of it. One guy said he came on like the new messiah of the cycling sport and all the riders knew he was cheating and it stuck in their craw and by god someone had to take him down. If I was what my mother and my ex said I was I would be reveling in having a nasty reputation. Most of these people are people I got jobs or lent money to. And helped them move umpteen jillion times and this is how I get served for being a faithful friend. I know that its a sociopath trait to get up here and claim to be what I say I am but I really was a good friend to these people. THey know my mother had a couple of bucks and she would pay for your allegiance. They can have her. If there is a hell they'll be the gunga din of purgatory you have to account for your actions there for here.

      Delete
  11. Yeah TW I am glad you didn't take my response personally. But last night I remembered a specific example of what I mean. About a month after going NC I got way too drunk to drive and backed into a friends car. I had begged them to let me pass out on their couch but they wouldn't budge. So I subsequently backed into their van. I expected a phone call from them that never came. I was so drunk I thought maybe I just dreamed it all up. Next time I called my mother and this was the phone call that led me to No Contact. MYymother started harping on me for backing into their car. They had called my ex who had given them my mothers number and so they called her. They didn't call me first so I could make arrangements to get their car fixed. This was their way of spreading the gossip that I was out drinking and driving. It let my ex know I was out partying and it gave her a way to rat me out to my mom and I guess they sat around clucking like old setting hens.

    ReplyDelete
  12. To clarify that last post. I had stormed off from my mothers house a month earlier but expected to reconcile i.e. didn't think I had seen the last of her. It was her ambushing me when I called her that made me write her off in my heart and in my head.

    ReplyDelete