Translate

Saturday, April 18, 2015

Trying to Live Normal


Right now I'm trying to tell myself to wash the dishes then go bathe, wash my hair, do my nails.  I'm having a bit of a hard time.  Its that Aunt thing again, ugh.  Hard to get past that.  it still plagues my mind. or is it other things, I don't know why I feel the way I do really.  Anyway, I really made a mess in the kitchen.  I made hamburgers and french fries for dinner, all from scratch.  Husband is gone to work for the night.

I'm having a struggle here.  I wanted to research self-care and why its so hard sometimes.  So I did a little research and I found this and decided to share.  I find this absolutely positive and I'm going to be taking it one step at a time.

Link
How To Break Free From Scapegoating


  1. Understand that what you have come to believe about yourself as family Scapegoat – i.e. that you are bad, weird, inadequate or defective - is not the truth.  In fact it’s likely a lie that was created to prevent family members from acknowledging their own troubles, thereby avoiding taking responsibility for both their behavior and the need to change.

  2. Locate and trust your ‘Inner Owl’ – that wise part of you that knows you have been mistreated and will no longer willingly allow this abuse from others or yourself.

  3. Recognize that feelings of shame, guilt and self blame belong to the perpetrators, not you as target.  You are simply a dumping ground for their bad feelings.  To change this you need to start standing up to the notion that you are at fault.  You will likely have to begin with yourself, learning to question and reject seeing yourself as ‘bad’.

  4. Get to know your true self.  Identify exceptions to the negative stereotype you have been saddled with.  In other words, pinpoint what is good, likeable or at least adequate about you - your character, values, actions, etc.  Write down your good traits – you will need to be reminded of this alternate universe, which is the truth about you, especially if you start to fall back into the habit of feeling bad about yourself again. Understand that getting better – and feeling better - is a learning curve, and you may slip a few times before you gain solid footing

  5. Figure out what you might be doing – consciously or unconsciously – that gives scapegoaters the idea that it’s OK to abuse you.  Determine how to change any behavior that draws you into the Victim role.

  6. Stop trying to win the favor of abusive and uncaring family members, co-workers or ‘friends’.  Anyone who engages in this type of inappropriate behavior has personality problems, especially a parent who did not love their child.

  7. Don’t expect abusive family members to apologize or make amends.  They will likely blame you more if you attempt to hold them accountable.

  8. Start asserting your right to be treated respectfully with family and other people who try and abuse you.  E.G., “The way you just spoke to me now is not acceptable, and I never want to be talked to like that again”, or “If you want to have a relationship with me, you will stop the angry outbursts, name calling, accusations, etc.”  Know that you may not be heard or respected by aggressive people.  The point is that you hear and respect yourself!  Don’t do this until you are ready to follow through with your commitment to yourself.

  9. Accept that you may never have a healthy relationship with your scapegoater(s).  This may involve limited or no contact with those who are determined to continue to abuse you.  You may experience feelings of grief.  Work through the painful feelings, and get support if needed.  This pain is much less harmful than continuing to allow yourself to be abused by anyone.

  10. Get in the habit of treating yourself with kindness, caring, compassion, appreciation and acceptance.  Practice viewing yourself as a person of worth and lovability.  This will likely feel weird at first as it is unfamiliar.  But even though it is unfamiliar, treating yourself in a loving manner is never wrong.

  11. Understand that it will take time to learn how to love and appreciate yourself.  You have been trained to be overly self critical and may believe you are defective.  Be patient as this false image gradually crumbles.  Get counselling to help you overcome this painful legacy, and find your true self - the strong, valuable person you are meant to be.

  12. Practice what you preach with others…  Break the cycle

8 comments:

  1. Thanks Joan. Good list of reminders: I've never seen this before and I appreciate it. Aye. They do us a number, eh? What do you think it is about the Aunt situation that's on rewind in your mind? It seemed to me you handled her really well. You certainly didn't collapse in the face of her pressuring you about your "mother."

    After all the effort to get everything ready for a meal I have to push myself to get up and get moving cleaning everything up. I think the only reason it gets done is because I despise getting up to a mess in the morning more than leaving it. I focus on one task until it's done. A bad case of "I HAVE to..."/old tapes start playing otherwise, yk?
    Thank you again for your thoughts-and the pictures. Spring's coming here too. I heard the peepers for the first time last Mon. night. The night sky has the spring/summer travelers in position. Ice is mostly out in the river across the road. Despite the harshness of the winter, it still has it's own beauty. Besides, it keeps a lot of people away ;)
    TW

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks TW. I don't know for sure if it is the Aunt thing. I actually feel angry how she had to validate herself through me, saying I was wrong. Now that "wrong" is affecting everything I do or attempt to do. Never good enough, thus never being in wellness. It will just take some time I guess. We have the whole house apart now, getting ready for painting, maybe that is affecting my state of mind too. I guess we feel like things won't come back together again. I did handle that aunt well, thank you. The one "tape" that was playing for me that day was all the stuff I learned. It was fun to exist in my own body and say what I mean.

    So yeah, I feel just doing the dishes is just a drop in the bucket compared to all the stuff that needs to be done at home. I have to ignore the "mess" I guess. Control what I can and leave the rest. And it also seems that self care is out the window too. Imagine giving yourself a manicure, just so little, compared to all the painting that needs to be done. So yeah, I guess its a control issue in a way.

    We now see robins galore, spring is really here, but we are expecting snow this week. I'm thinking that will pass in a day or two then back to the lovely weather. And soon it will be fishing season. We eat a lot of fish in the summer, almost every other day. And I've been craving it, we haven't had any in so long. Its against the law to keep too much game fish in the freezer, and we have to give it away, go to his parents for a fish fry, and eat it all the time. But I digress, its ok, its our favorite food.

    I love this weather. It is emotionally relieving,

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've looked at life from both sides now and normalcy is way overrated.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Both sides? That's great, I want to get there too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Both are overrated. We are like pickles. Once you have been pickled you can't go back to being a cucumber.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well you can't take back being used and abused from birth. I was property, but I can choose not to be property again. That is a skill in itself. Freedom to exist alone, as a person, myself this time. No more engulfing. That's why I rely on the statement, "I'm enough", and I don't seek approval. I'm going to brainwash myself with those.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just want peace. I'd rather be alone then deal with narcs. I recently ran for the hills away from a narc that popped up in my local community life.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I know me too. I can't seem to get away from these narcs though, I live almost secluded and they are all around me.

    ReplyDelete