Translate

Saturday, February 27, 2016

I Feel Proud


I have something about myself that I just discovered that is giving me a sense of pride.  Someone gave us a treat of moose steaks.  Now this is a rare treat.  We can't hunt for moose as easily as they did in the pioneer days, we have to put our names in a draw and hope you get to get one.  Then go out and try to shoot one, another chance you won't get it.  So having these couple of pieces is definitely rare.

Well, to get on with what I'm proud of, I noticed how everyone is very fond of moose around here, that is, they enjoy it regardless of it being the toughest meat ever.  I knew this and I knew how to cook it so that it is so good, the only problem is there is never enough.  That good.

I discovered how to do this by reading old books of the pioneer days, such as Little House on the Prairie, and other books, I used to read a lot of them in my early twenties.  My favorite was a book written by a pioneer woman who lost her husband in a wagon turnover, and she was left pregnant and alone.  From there the town married her to a widower with a little girl of the age of three.  She knew nothing of children and suddenly she was the mother of a three year old.  She did not know her new husband at all.  And she was barely able to grieve the loss of  her husband.  The town thought it was proper for her to be married, since she was pregnant, and this way she would be provided for.  But she did not know him at all.

The day they got married, he took off for a few weeks to work, and she was left alone with the child. When he got back, she still did not know him.  I don't remember much more of the story, and I don't remember the title of the book.  I would often read stories like this and it fascinated me.

Well, from one of them, don't know which, I learned how to make moose meat perfect without spoiling the taste of the moose.  I just fry them up all the way.  This is what people usually do, and proceed to cut the pieces up very small and then settle down to the long act of chewing.  Now, lots of the people from my books lived on wild game lots.  It was a way of survival, for farming was tricky and living was hard.  With hunting, they did not have to bother with the lottery of winning a chance to hunt.  They just went out and hunted when need be.  They were responsible for the most part.

So after I fry them up in the pan really well, I make gravy from what is left in the pan.  Then I put this in the oven to "stew" for a while.  Usually an hour or two.  The only problem is that there is never enough.

I know how to cook a lot of things from reading those books.  I know how to bake a pie over an open fire too.  Its weird, for my mother never taught me anything.  I was left to fend for myself at an early age.  It is only by chance I developed a love of old books.

10 comments:

  1. Gawd I have some unkind words for my mother that your post made me think about but I won't use them here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw, its ok. I don't mind really. This post reminded me of how my mother told me to make chile when I asked her. She told me a turtle and a duck. You can't make chile without those.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well graphic may be a better description but I can dirty up my own blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Baking a pie on a campfire is not easy. I made some biscuits using a bunch of coals and aluminum foil but it was touch and go for a awhile.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Unless you use a dutch oven. Using the radiated heat takes some practice.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You make the pie as normal then stick it in a pot that fits. I never did this, but that is how they did it in the old days, if they didn't have an oven. I guess it would take practice with radiated heat, but the books never called it radiated heat.

    ReplyDelete
  7. For me radiated heat was using a reflective contraption that caught the light and the heat of the campfire and focused it in on a spot in the middle. Kind of like burning ants with a magnifying glass only different.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She made the pie by fixing it up then putting some of the dough over the sides layered over, and the pot to put it in just had to fit. Just over the dough, so the dough is over the sides of the piepan, then the pot to fit. It cooks all over this way and you have to take a knife and cut it out of the pot. Oh, and a lid on top and that should be it. But maybe I'm forgetting something, that was a while ago.

      Delete
  8. Wow you can cook moose meat, it does sound like you became very self sufficient. With better health I was interesting in a prepper lifestyle. Maybe ACONs get interested in survival, just because. It may be why I read prepping websites even though I can't afford or do a lot on them. I know what plants are edible though, yes I know that's strange.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep and people we know just eat the moose after they fry it. Its a long time chewing. I wish hunting wasn't so expensive. You have to buy the licenses, the tags this and that. By the time you are done buying all that you still have to take a chance on getting a moose. A prepper lifestyle is good. I heard that some people just start out with canning and go from there. I want to do canning, but only certain things. Sometimes it goes beyond things I would eat.

      I always wanted to know what plants to eat. I know we can eat dandelions, other than that, I'm not sure. I used to spend long summers as a child picking and eating berries.

      Delete