Translate

Thursday, March 19, 2015

I Just Talked to the Aunt



On Monday I was spending a busy day in the city to buy our food supplies and visit.  I just picked up a cake at Walmart and was going to my daughter's for a visit.  I learned to be more organized.  I went to get s bit of lunch, I wasn't even hungry and I tend to go places on an empty stomach.  Whether accusations are real or not, I always feel like a fraud, a horrible person, but this day was an exception. I actually felt pretty good, so I decided to treat myself to some french fries today and then would head over to my daughter's with the cake.  Then I saw my aunt (mother's sister).

I saw her first.  I don't think she even recognized me.  I just wanted to say hi, and talk about good things.  But that wasn't about to happen at all.

She asked me right away, "Hi, have you talked to your mother yet?"

I was taken aback, this was very abrupt of her, "No".

I didn't add anything to the answer.  I have learned from ACON's that I don't have to explain myself any more, and somehow I've been managing it.

She said she has talked to mother many times over the phone, and she keeps asking mother the same thing about me, but mother says no as well.  I tried steering the conversation away to talk about simple things in the moment.  I didn't want to give a rundown of my life and I intended boundaries to exist.  Her husband, who was with her, walked away from me like he had a bad taste in his mouth.  I could tell he didn't want to be a part of the conversation and probably felt that he was doing his best. I guess he didn't want to tell me off.  So he walked away instead.

Just to let you know, my aunt is the most normal in the family.  She has never been known to be outrageous and she had a good heart.  She spent several years taking care of her own mother and reminded me of that.  As I tried to hold true to spontaneous talk, she tried to wear me down about mother.  She said that I will be sorry someday for this and she said I'll always remember this conversation she had with me.

We got into some more about mother.  She understands mother is mean and cruel and spiteful and hateful.  Oh, yes she gets that.  She said her mother was the same way, that she has two other sisters that are mean to their daughters.  However, I was to overlook that and see that mother still loves me.

Wow, did I tell you this is very dangerous?  That thinking?  That someone can be mean and cruel to you and still love you can kill you?  I'm not making that one up.  I read that right in my relationship site.  And the very fact of holding in your emotions in relationships is dangerous?

I love my relationship site, but there are a few things I do disagree with, one of which is that the site owner believes that some women are just lazy about their emotions.  Not that I'm blaming her.  She does put the idea in your head that perhaps holding in your emotions is wrong, and I discovered the truth, and that there is not such thing as being lazy.   For some of us, living true to your emotions can feel like hell.  This is what brought about my awakening though.

You know, I felt that my aunt was trying to be noble, and she just doesn't know better.  I can choose to hate her too, but I just can't.  She feels this way, and she doesn't know the truth about narcissism. Mother doesn't even exist.  This is a person that wants to hurt others all the time, and my aunt believes we must see past that, and not hold her responsible for any of that, "Oh, she's just like that, she doesn't mean it."

I worried about my sister.  I talked a little about that.  My aunt said that my sister is strong, she said that my sister can let everything just roll off her.  She said that it was wrong of me to just believe mother, to just let it roll off my back.  That is what my sister does.  She is strong.  But did I tell you that my sister was almost stabbed to death by an ex?  She can show you knife wounds.  

Every punch in the face I got in my life was locked in to that thinking.  Remember that.  I try to live true to my emotions these days.  Its still hard but I do it, because I know now.  To tell my husband, I'm upset, or I'm hurt, feels like hell sometimes, but I do it.  He doesn't always like it, he tells me, but what he says and feels are two different things.  Although he doesn't like it, he is connected to me this way.  But he would tell you otherwise.  He would say he doesn't like a drama queen, but it doesn't matter, his emotions speaks otherwise.  I do something he says he doesn't like, despite what he says.  He connects to it.

Not something a narcissist can do.

So we must learn as women, to stay true to our emotions.  It is hard sometimes.  Well, all the time.  I don't always feel like acknowledging my emotions, that is why I need to read the relationship site over and over again.

Well, my aunt went on and on.  When she told me that she took care of her own mother who was mean and spiteful too, I told her she should have just thrown her out then.  Truly, if someone just only not appreciate you but hurts you with the intention of hurt, then throw them out.  These beliefs of my aunt are dangerous, I told her that.  She still feels we are to reach out to them or someday feel sorry for it.

I believe she tried to be the wise and noble aunt that day.  Telling me that mother is still trying her best.  She did not even bring up my brother, whom mother is not speaking to for no reason.  She says mother will die some day and I'll be sorry for it.

I don't feel badly.  All the stuff I've learned, and its funny, but I felt like the ACON community walks around with me.  I'm not alone anymore.  Thus, I held my ground with her, her husband walking away in a huff.  After we had parted ways with me still holding my ground, I went to go have my french fries, and they were very good.

I left to come back home at 10 o'clock that night.  In the dark, and I wasn't even afraid.  I like the night and my alone time on the road.  Life is beautiful.

11 comments:

  1. They agree that your mother is mean and cruel and abusive, yet they want you to suck it up and take more abuse. How illogical is that? It's almost as if they are brainwashed into the "you have to have a relationship with your parents" mantra.

    I had the same thing happen to me with my own extended relatives. (Or almost the same - I suspect mine are abusive themselves, and were trying to get me to toe the line to avoid looking at their own characters.) In the end, I went No Contact with all of them.

    Congratulations on maintaining your resolve, and not feeling bad about it! It's amazing once you are free of the guilt, shame and fear we were long trained into. Life is indeed beautiful.

    Just a warning, if I may. It's my hunch that if you continue communicating with them, they won't leave you alone regarding "mother". Unfortunately, it's a sad reality that you cannot have a normal relationship with someone who is in regular contact with the narcissist. Noble intentions or not, you may have to protect yourself from your aunt and uncle the same as from your mother.

    Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Mens invicta. And I have totally forgot about flying monkeys. I guess that is what they are. I was hoping they would be a little more interested in me, but oh well, I guess we can't have it all. It is very liberating to be free of the fear, guilt and shame, it is beautiful. I have all the ACON's to thank for that, I don't know what I'd do without them.

    And congratulations to you for going no contact with your extended relatives. Its too bad they try to get us to toe the line, and its evil actually. Even though they try to be noble it is all evil. We don't have to toe the line for anyone. It is actually damaging.

    I have decided to go no contact with them as well. We don't usually communicate, it was just a chance meeting with them, next time I will look the other way.

    We just have to continue forward.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The flying monkeys are in thrall to evil and believe what evil says. They don't want to rock the boat. They want to bow before who they see as the most powerful which is the narc. Many of them are evil themselves or by proxy. I had to let go of everyone that has a relationship with my mother. I could hear her voice through them.

      Delete
  3. My first reaction was along the lines of the first commenter . If your gut tells you to stay away stay away is what I would do. She needs to mind her own business.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree Q. This aunt is the executer of mother's will and this is complicated for her I guess. I don't know, I don't feel sorry for her she needs to give the old bag back her will and tell her to f*&k off. Keeps things simple. If people care about mother as much as they say they do, then they need to back away from her and let this old malignant narcissist get her own help and healing. Slim chance of that happening of course. But that is what Anna Valerious said in her blog.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So, "auntie" KNOWS your lifetime of lived experiences and your own mind better than YOU do?! In "auntie's" view/agenda, the abuser-your bitch of a "mother" gets a pass because SHE chose to take care of HER mother?! AND! Auntie has a crystal ball! This one comes fully equipped to iron fist in the velvet glove with the other ominous warning, (cue warning music) "You'll be SORRY!" Really? Really Auntie? Like you know Joan's history of abuse "should" simply be swept under the rug because why? I didn't get that. Help me understand Auntie why Joan's abusive mother should be allowed to continue to abuse her adult daughter: Why does the abusive mother get a pass? Why are you attempting to guilt Joan into remaining available to her abusive mother? Why are you threatening Joan with thunderbolts and all manner of horrible consequences because Joan is taking steps to protect herself?
    Auntie, your "peacemaking" efforts are as transparently full of shit as you are.
    TW

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. It is sickening how they will excuse abuse and everything sick thing these NMs will do. I believe most of these types are cowards. They want the boat rocker to get "back in line" to make things easier for them.

      Delete
  6. Hi TW,

    Yep, call it a bad case of Stolkholm's Syndrome or something. The abusive types always get a free pass, and the rest of the FOO sticks up for them, like they are unfortunate, disadvantaged, and they didn't choose to abuse. They chose it. I saw mother flip many times, depending on who would walk in the room. Lately, I get that mother's mask is coming off more and more. It is becoming more apparent she is MN, however, whatever, everyone still supports her.

    I will never be sorry. Mother destroyed so much of my life, and now I found a life and she is trying to come back and destroy that. Mother wants to see me destitute and on the streets, that is what she wants, I'm sure of it. But that's ok, according to Auntie, my duty will have to be to mother regardless.

    But as far as calling me too sensitve, just takes the cake as far as I'm concerned. I'm not able to let things roll off my back, oh well, that's just horrible of me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I want you to notice one thing here, notice how they all defend your mother and no one defended you. Your feelings don't matter and all of her feelings are to be handled with the utmost of delicacy. I don't know how these NM's brainwash the rest of the family into taking "their side" [in my case my mother's money helps] but they do so without pause. One reason I am going NC with the entire family is all of my feelings were always invalidated. Aunt Confused even in our last conversation, kept telling me "But your mother loves you!" I said, "No she does not and stop making excuses". Funny how this works because for decades my mother absolutely trashed her to me. I got tired of trying to convince the Borg, and yes you may have to part ways from those who have chosen the narcissist's side. They always put my mother way above me. I was nothing to those people and she was everything. I just can't do it anymore.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Peeps. You got it smack on there. I am to sacrifice everything to appease a creature of evil. I told my aunt that day how much the abuse affected me throughout my life and that didn't matter. She just said "You'll be sorry someday for treating mother like this". And no, someone can't love you who abuses you, that is the ultimate in brainwashing in my book. We don't hug our abusers, we must walk away from them, even for their sakes. I know mother won't change, but I've done my part and that's all I've got to do.

      I've been thinking of this aunt for days now, and it feels like her sister comes first no matter what. She thought she was doing me a favor but she was even being abusive herself. When my uncle walked away in a snoot, that was even abusive in my book. But it didn't hurt me at all.

      Delete
    2. All my flying monkeys put my mother first, I realized I was nothing to them. This included Aunt Confused and a few others. I got the you have to take abuse, and "She really loves you" nonsense too. I felt like I was being re-abused. Even my brother gave me the "she really loves you" gambit.

      Delete