Translate

Thursday, March 10, 2016

The Quiet Mind


I can't watch this video without crying, even over and over again.  This is a true story, Henry Howard wrote this poem, and he was executed under the command of King Henry VIII back in the early 1500's.  Here are the words to that poem:

MARTIAL, the things that do attain The happy life, be these, I find :

The riches left, not got with pain ;The fruitful ground, the quiet mind :

The equal friend, no grudge, no strife ;

No charge of rule, nor governance ;

Without disease, the healthful life ;

The household of continuance :

The mean diet, no delicate fare ;

True wisdom join'd with simpleness ;

The night discharged of all care, Where wine the wit may not oppress :The faithful wife, without debate ;Such sleeps as may beguile the night.

Contented with thine own estate ;Ne wish for Death, ne fear his might.

Such profound words from a guy who was considered a very difficult man.  History does not give Henry Howard a good report.  And actually, if history were to write about me, oh no, lets not go there.

I had my doctor's appointment yesterday.  It turns out my cholesterol is 3.7 and it is supposed to be at 2.  The doctor is concerned about this for I have a brother who died of a heart attack at 45, and a mother who had high cholesterol.  The doctor discussed with me that the genetic link factor is the worst.  I never told her that I had a grandmother who died at the age of thirty of a heart attack for having too many children.  And that was on my father's side.  Too many connections, and I'm starting to feel like I'm going to be very careful with my eating habits and start exercising.  I have to have a bunch of heart tests too, and they'll call me to set a date.

Last night for dinner we had some white meat chicken and a big salad, with healthy dressing,  a piece of whole wheat bread.  I talked about the results with my husband who just sat there a little nervous too.  I have the genetic link factor, and I'm feeling like a ticking time bomb.  He's concerned about this too, and that is probably coupled with him staring down at the chicken and salad and he's probably wondering when he'll ever have a steak again.  I know its important for us both to eat healthy and he likes to eat red meat.  I think I'm just going to put some healthy food in his diet and allow him to eat what he wants.

We like fish, but we only get it in the summer from the lake.  I usually deep fry it, so I'm going to have to learn how to bake more often.  And more in moderation.  We usually eat what we catch right away, even when we catch the limit.  And this is a lot.  I suppose I could freeze some, but the law don't let you freeze too much.  If you have a freezer of fish, you could get into trouble.  Around here the law is strict on wildlife and that we don't abuse it, and sometimes I think they are more vigilant about that than they are about other things.

Our bodies make cholesterol too.  So that has to be taken in consideration because of my bad nerves.  But I think I've done a lot of work to get better.  Just this past week I've done considerable work on it.  I was well over my bad cold so I went to church on Sunday.  There is still a little residue from the cold, so I had to blow my nose.  I didn't think much of it.  I blew my nose a little, and it sounded like an elephant clearing its trunk.  Of course these things happen to me, I feel like I have been living under some kind of curse, so I kind of wondered why I didn't go to the bathroom to blow my nose, why did I have to do it right there.  But I lived to tell the tale.

After church I checked the food for the food bank and I noticed that a lot of food was collected by the church.  There was probably about $800 worth.  I usually take the food home with me and bring it to the food bank meeting, but this time I had to find someone who had keys, I wasn't going to bring this home.

As I left the church, the truck spun its wheels and there was snow thrown about the place and people were watching.  It looked like I did this on purpose, I hate that.  It looked like I was doing a Dukes of Hazzard Boys.  They were probably expecting me to fly over the embankment.  I don't spin wheelies but it looked like I was doing this on purpose.

I survived.  Next I had to think of who to go to that had keys.  I only knew where one lived.  Almost, not exactly. I kinda knew of where she lived, I thought I could find her.  I did find her.  It was cool because I used to do that in another time, when mother was not in my life.  I used to live making mistakes, and it was ok.  All this constant "being careful" was a problem for me.  So I decided to incorporate a little of the "old me".

So it was ok, I found her.  We went to the food bank and dropped off the food.  She is a nervous person.  I noticed how her speech tells this, and the way we talked to eachother, well we are the same in that regards.  As I was leaving the food bank I saw her walking back so I stopped and asked if anything was wrong.  She said that she just wanted to check if she locked the doors.  I thought to myself, "of course."  Exactly what I would do.  I don't know why this kind of behaviour bugs people. I find her a very good person, and I don't know why some would target someone like that.  I don't know about her life, and perhaps life took her here, and she does the best she can.

Watching her, I noticed a lot of me.  People think we are untrustworthy.  People might think its stupid to give her keys and she has too much responsibility that she can't be trusted for.  But I know she is the most trustworthy.  She might have walked back to the food bank again to check the lock again, she would never have left those doors unlocked.  She is always there to do things, and me knocking on her door on a Sunday was not expected.  She went out of her way to help.  She did not make me go home with the food.  That is what we are like.

So, with gas running out of the truck, I got the gas, with no anxiety over that.  I used to have to go around with a full tank, and with poverty being my main issue at the time, this made everything very difficult.  So I did a "So What?"   Then I proceeded to go on.  Just pushed through every single instance of pain, and I didn't die from it.

And even yesterday, going to the doctor's presented challenges.  I had my 3 year old grandbaby with me, and I couldn't find parking till the last minute, it was pouring rain, and I had a sickening feeling I would miss my appointment because of it.  I eventually found parking by waiting and driving around town.  This is not easy when you have a three year old who has to go pee.  I should be in a movie, its terrible.

And, if that wasn't enough, I had a hard time to get out of town for they had closed the exits because of several accidents.  There was only one exit, and I had to try to find out which one it was.  The radio did not give the details.  It took me a long time to find it.

I survived.  But if I knew what the day was going to be like, I don't think I would have wished myself out of bed that morning.  I don't think things would be so rough if it weren't for mother.  I think I would have been more accepting of myself.

Mother had high cholesterol too, and she used to eat everything that was considered good and healthy, and still her cholesterol went up.  It was weird.  I think it may have been her awful demeanor.  She was always on the look out for narc supply, and this probably caused a lot of stress. They can't live without it.  I suppose her doctor should have told her about that.  Narcs get away with too much and then they eat to keep healthy.  Doctor's don't help narcs much, do they?  She could have eaten only vegetables, but the constant need for supply kept her cholesterol high.  I'm sure of it.

Well, my doctor is a vegetarian, and I was wondering how someone lives like that.  She never has anything greasy either.  Then of course, I embarrassed myself asking her about pork, with her being east Indian, and this is probably a conversation she didn't want to have.  They don't eat pigs, and I felt just awful for asking her of it afterwards.  Just awful.  Awful is how I feel a lot.  But, she just smiled and she actually didn't smack me, so its ok.

So I basically have to take better care of myself, and I'm hoping my clumsy attempts at life don't cause my downfall.  I think if I'm just more accepting of them and of me, I will be fine.  And eating better and exercising will help me too.  I have the words of Henry Howard, the recipe of the quiet mind.





30 comments:

  1. Great quote, well a calm and peaceful life is better. This society takes away happiness telling everyone to do more more more more. I hope your cholesterol gets better. Are they putting you on a statin? I've eaten so many eggs lately [cheap] I get worried about mine. I think diet has less to do with it then they say. It's more genetic. Some "good fats" like avocados and olive oil may help it. Glad you understand your friend, anxious people are too judged by others. I'm a nervous person like that. It's hard to always have to say in one's mind calm down calm down. Sounds like you are good person to her, she needs that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep on rosuvastatin calcium. I'm guessing this is a type of scrubber. I'm thinking of adding some boiled eggs tomorrow. One nice thing is that I never take to salt, so that's not an issue. I can go without margarine too, just the bread is ok for me. And the genetics are bad. My brother died at 45 from a heart attack, and the doctor is seriously taking that into consideration.

      I've got some olive oil, so I'm going to be using that. Yeah I do understand her. And she does get things done, and she's not a screw up. Gee, how many times I have heard that about myself. Thanks Peep

      Delete
  2. A good friend of mine had high cholesterol and he started eating oatmeal every day for breakfast and his cholesterol went way down. I think this is a thing that happens to a lot of people. So if you can stand oatmeal once a day, then that might help your health. Just a thought. I read your blog all the time and it encourages me. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep I love oatmeal with about an inch of brown sugar across the top. I think I can eat it plain though. Just that when I start taking sugar out of my diet, something happens, I kinda go all gremlin and ohhhh, I have to work on this. Thanks for the advice Anonymous, and I'm glad it is encouraging.

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Misunderstood genius and people who think beyond the times is a common theme in literature. I mean somebody censured a comment from this Joan S that commented right above this one. She might of had a profound statement that could have inspired millions but now it's lost to the ages. ........LOL and who's this author? and why did they remove this comment? Didn't Dudley Moore play him in a movie?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That comment was mine, I deleted it cause I did it twice, lol. I wonder about Henry Howard and what he really was like. He was rich, had royal blood, had many enemies, considered an egomaniac, but this poem goes on. I know being censored is horrible. At one time, someone banned me and said I was horrible, and it was all due to not being able to express myself good enough. But no one should censor your comments. They should at the very least ask you for clarification, and still if they don't like it, then they need to respect you enough to allow you to say what you want to. I mean that's what its about.

      Delete
    2. I know....... I was just joshing you.

      Delete
    3. If you really want to get back at me you can go in and delete the thing that said a comment has been deleted by the author and anybody who sees my comment will think I have lost my mind.

      Delete
    4. I'm ok. I know that is annoying when that happens. Just when something goes up twice I think I'm giving the reader a break by deleting the extra, and when someone sees it has been deleted it looks like I'm deleting comments. Looks freaky. So I get it.

      Delete
  5. I have loved that poem for years! I have never known anyone one else who ever heard of Henry Howard.I think he brought the sonnet to England before Shakespeare.He has other really nice poetry. There was something about him...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved it for quite a while. I never thought of blogging about it till now. That is interesting you thought he brought the sonnet to england before Shakespeare, it was like he was being kept quiet for a reason. I know the kind was very paranoid and with people working against Henry Howard, it was like they wanted him dead, and needed him dead and quiet.

      Delete
  6. He actually was the first poet in England to write in sonnet form. I always thought he brought ithe sonnet to England from Italy, but I think it was his close friend Wyatt.The poem is actually longer than that clip but the clip summarizes it so nicely..
    He did live in intense times and circumstances. I'm sure that made for deep reflection and thought.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You've encouraged me to read up more on him. Deep reflection and thought is a human trait. I felt he was triangulated against when the king thought he was going to kidnap the prince, and we don't know what really happened.

      Delete
  7. I know when I look back on my mothers life I think of the madness of King George.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think of my mother as the Mad Joan of Spain. I wonder what would have happened if my mother lived back then and ruled a country.

      Delete
  8. I had low cholesterol,low blood pressure, no family history of stroke and only some arthritis because of old injuries, a few inflicted by my mother. As I recover from a brain bleed (the rarest kind of stroke), my blood tests are still perfect and blood pressure is still low.

    Not sure where I'm going with this, except to say, sometimes there's no explanation for the hand we are dealt. At times the anxiety of wondering WTF happened, and if it will happen again, almost overwhelms me. Then I just think, "It is what it is." and keep putting one foot in front of the other.

    I've just had three good days in a row. Tomorrow I could be on my ass again and I'm OK with that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, hope you are feeling better at some point in time. Isn't it great just to have those three good days, its like a break. But I'm starting to feel less sorry for myself today, its starting to sink in that I have to lower my cholesterol. Just that I like to grab a burger or something once in a while, and no chocolate! What's the point of life?

      It is all just putting one foot in front of the other, I wanted that title for my blog actually and someone already has it. But no one is promised tomorrow, glad that your blood tests and blood pressure are great.

      Delete
  9. You should read more of his poetry. It's really good. I'm surprised he's not more well known.
    He was definitely triangulated against!Henry was a big narc!Possibly the master narc!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. King Henry had a deep paranoia as a result of his narcissism. Strange this is always their weakness. And this is how people can get to them.

      Delete
  10. Deep reflection and thought is a human trait. But Narcs often don't want people who think deeply. It interferes with their triangulating and own shallow way of viewing life..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, I wish there was more Henry Howards. "The quiet mind, the equal friend" seems like he was talking against narcissism. I agree that deep thinking throws off triangulating. I remember when I was little and I would know it was my day for mother to make the rest of the family hate me. They were kids themselves, but if they just thought a little it would have ended the triangulation.

      Delete
  11. My mother said I was too deep. How can you be too deep? Of course I didn't see back then that she was too shallow...
    I was hurt when she said it and didn't even know why she was saying it. I never thought of myself as too deep. Just moderately reflective at that time. My boyfriend at that time graduated "cum sum laude" in philosophy at a really good school. He was really deep and introspective, but I never saw it as too deep. I loved that about him..
    Why couldn't she just have loved that about me....But really I don't care anymore. I'm over her for now.My Narc brother her golden child is bugging me now...It's always something in the acon world...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anon, It had absolutely nothing to do with you. You were and still are lovable!
      Your twisted mother was incapable of love. Think about it. What kind of sick bitch doesn't instinctively love their own child?

      Delete
    2. They don't and never did love anything about us. To them we are just like the chair we sit on or the toilet paper they use. Even animals are capable of love, but not narcs. A dog won't leave you alone when your upset and will lick your whole face in their dog like effort to show love. Anything like love and compassion is something they are not even capable of understanding. But none of this is our fault. They were the ones who chose this, consciously and effortlessly over and over again.

      And you can't be too deep. I'm working on getting deeper myself, and I'm worried about taking it too far, NOT. I love deep people too.

      Delete
  12. Narcs are from the shallow end of the gene pool.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank -you mulderfan!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Even wild animals INSTINCTIVELY nurture their off-spring. Narcs are either missing the parenting gene or landed here from another planet.
    What's scary is, when I was blogging, people from as far away as Spain, South African, India, Peru, etc. got in touch with me and described the exact same experiences! Seems like world-wide, there are people using the same sick playbook. My shrink kept telling me, "You're NOT crazy. You're stressed out because you're surrounded by crazies!"
    Simply by virtue of being born everyone of us has the right to be happy and loved!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember my therapist asking me, "Maybe your not the problem" when I told her that I feel like the most offensive person on earth.

      Delete